It has been revealed that Florida’s largest utility conspired to stop Florida’s solar power. Tampa Bay Times reports Florida Power & Light, the nation’s largest utility company, has been working with state legislators to stop the growth of the solar industry.
What Is the Bill?
Net metering allows Florida solar users to return excess solar energy to the utility at full retail electricity rates. This has been possible since 2008.
This bill aims to change that. Net metering is no longer possible. It would severely penalize solar users. This would limit the growth of Florida’s solar industry, which is one of our shining stars.
Why Are Utilities So Scared?
- Clean and solar energy is the future. Utility companies are quickly learning this fact.
- Utilities make their money by building things, such as large power plants or power lines. Solar power from homeowners’ roofs is not a source of income for utilities, and that’s a problem.
- They are also learning quickly that they must adapt to cleaner energy sources.
- Florida’s net metering program allows properties producing less than 2 megawatts of solar power to sell their excess energy back to the utility, for a credit of 11 cents per kWh.
- According to the U.S Energy Information Administration, Florida’s solar sector grew by 57 percent in 2020.
- Florida is home to the 2nd largest solar workforce in America, with more than 11,000 direct jobs and 31,000 indirect jobs.
Expert Solar Installations in Florida
Contact us today if you are interested in solar investment, upgrading an existing system, or have any other questions about solar power in FL! ESD Solar is Sunshine State’s leading solar power company and would love to save you thousands of dollars in 2022 through solar tax credits and financing.
This post was written by Daniel Massaad, owner and expert solar technician at Energy Solutions Direct! ESD is one of the top solar panel companies in Florida! Our licensed and certified contractors are masters of their craft; with years of experience servicing the great Tampa Bay area and beyond, the choice is simple. ESD excels at offering you the best in solar value!